Choosing a subset of data to test in TS?

Hi,

I am interested to find out how people test systems on just a
subset of data.  For example, if you have 10 years of data and
you just want to test for, say, the first 3 years of that data,
then how do you do it?  I guess I can just load a subset of the
data to begin with but this becomes tedious when I want to test
the next subset of the data, and so on.

I have thought about making the "from" and "to" dates inputs
into my systems so I can nominate the date range as I start the
system test but I was curious to first find out how others do
this.

Thanks in advance,

Keith.