Re: ZoneAlarm Alert

Totally disagree about ZoneAlarm.

I ran Black Ice and had moderate satisfaction a year ago.  Went to
www.grc.com for independent review of the whole security issue, plus free,
comprehensive testing.  (No affiliation, connection, etc). Gibson's analysis
and test results changed me to ZoneAlarm.  I've been there ever since,
running 5 systems simultaneously with zero problems (other than the alerts
due to unauthorized activity from external sites, and several internal
ones.)If you disable the alert notification, you do run the risk of an
application failure for "unknown" reasons. Duh.
I run it on a W98, NT4, and now W2K.  Laptops using dialup.  2 P-III's
(866M), 2 P-II (550) on 512K DSL and a linksys 10/100 ethernet peer-peer
router.  I ran McAfee a few years back and after a short, irritating
interval went back to Norton.  ZoneAlarm's been no trouble with any recent
version of NAV, including versions from 1998 forward.  Now have all systems
running SystemWorks 2001.  NAV has saved me many times, since a couple
bulletinboards I'm on have users w/o the sense to get antivirus protection.
I have set up probably at least 40 IP addresses in ZoneAlarm so I can get RT
simultaneous data feeds from 3 different sources, operate QCharts, Raven,
Omega, ESignal, pcQuote and RdeiPlus reliably and without fear of hacking
(beyond the normal background level of fear, that is.)  It was expensive in
time and $ to get here.  As much as I admired Black Ice, cannot recommend
it.  But go to the link above & read, get tested for vulnerability, then
decide for yourself.  BTW, www.dslreports.com also provides testing, even
more comprehensive than Gibson.  Forget Norton's testing, its just a sales
setup.
NHBob