RE: Need help on Win2000 install

See my responses.

>1. I used the new Partition Magic 6 to create another
primary partition for OS installation because an
operating system must be installed in a primary drive.
But this turned out to be a mistake since only one
primary partition was allowed on one hard drive.  So I
just resized C: drive so that there was room on the
hard drive for Win2000 - 3.5 gig for WinME and 6.5 gig
free space.<

This is not accurate. There can only be one primary partition ACTIVE at a
time. Refer to the Partition Magic manual - Setting an Active Partition.
(page 81 on PM 4.0). In any case, see the footnote to "Creating Bootable
Partitions" (page 40), WinNT only requires a few files on the primary
partition, so you can put those files on the WinME primary partition and the
remaining files on your logical partition.

>2.  Win2K installation gave me an option to partition
the drive by pressing "C".  I thought Win2K would
partition the free space for me.  Good. But nothing
happened when I pressed "C".<

I don't recall this. You should have had the option to create a dual boot
system, a new install, or a upgrade.

>3.  So I was forced to install Win2K in a folder under
C:\. Done - I thought.<

You need to install Win2000 as a dual boot system. What was the name and
path of the folder?

>4.  Now C:\ was smaller - a mistake from resizing.  So
I returned the free space to C:\<

>5.  Now Win2K was running under C:\ from the WINNT
folder.<

I don't understand what's happening here. If the dual boot is set up
correctly, you should have the option of either operating system at boot up.

6.  However, the screen only gave me 800x600
resolution.  I decided Win2K must need a new video
driver. Installation of video drivers in the dirvers
folder made WinME unbootable.

You should have two operating systems operating independently. It looks like
you have one operating within the other. This will definitely confuse the
drivers.

>Is it worth it?<

If you are not having any stability problems with WinME, don't bother. Also,
if you have no program or hardware conflicts with Win2000, you can install
that as your only operating system. However, it is possible to install a
dual boot system. You should have that option on the first couple of screens
of the WIn2000 install program.

JFB
Shaven Heads Trading
NYC