Alerts are not audible!

I used to be able to hear the alerts in TS4 as they went off, but that
isn't happening now.  Other noises/sounds in Win98 are audible, so I know
the speakers are working.    I have tried going into Control Panel/Sounds
to activate the different choices, but I think I haven't found the correct
one.  Assuming that is the problem, can someone direct me to the exact
choice; or even suggest another possible cause for this problem.

I know the alert sounds are a mixed blessing in TS4, but on 30 minute and
daily charts they shouldn't be too obnoxious.

John