Re: Off Topic - OS Reinstall

Monte:  Here are a couple of things I experienced when reformatting a hard
drive on one of my computers.

I have a 3Com NIC and this card requires a preinstallation of part of the
software, before the card is installed in the motherboard.  After the card
is placed in the motherboard, then you finish the rest of the software
installation.  If I had not built this computer myself, I would have had a
hard time trying to figure out why I was having trouble with trying to
install the software after the reformatting process.

The other problem, which caused me about 5 hours of grief, was that the
software for my sound card had to be installed before I installed the Norton
Antivirus software.  I was unable to find anything that told me this was
necessary.  One morning in the shower, while thinking about this problem, it
came to me that maybe the order that I was installing some of the software
was the problem.  I thought back to the steps taken when building the
computer and realized that the sound card software was installed prior to
the Norton software.  So I tried that and it worked.

If prebuilt machines are being used, some of this type of information is
hard to come by.  Also, some of the prebuilt manufacturers don't provide
their customers with all the documentation that they need.

These are just two things that I have experienced, wish you well in your
endeavor.

David