Re: ** Successful, Robust Systems Anyone ?? ***

In a message dated 11/4/2000 9:26:29 PM Pacific Standard Time,
rcavaler@optonline.net writes:

<< - It's profitability ratio over a variety of different equities is
 consistently greater than 65% (i.e. 65% of the time, you are in the
 green)
 - It performs well in both trending markets, *and* range-bound markets.
 (perhaps using adaptive properties based market conditions of a given
 stock)
 - It does not require constant re-tuning or optimization to achieve
 satisfactory results (this would just be curve backfiting) >>

I think this is pretty much unrealistic.  You either want to go for a
"trending" system, a "buy-low sell-high" system (which is hard) or a
"volitility breakout" system.  Volitility Breakout Systems will give you your
60 to 80 percent winning trades but with only a 1 to 1 win/loss ratio.  The
trending system will give you 30 to 50 precent winning trades, but with a 2
to 4 win/loss ratio.  That's pretty much what I've come to expect, and, as
far as I'm concerned, that is the Holy Grail, because if it's a good version
of those concepts, it will be robust and therefore it will make money for
you.  Losses are the cost of doing business.  I will gladly lose $100 to make
$250 50 % of the time any day.
Just my humble opinon.
Jim