Syntax Question re printing to a file

I hate to ask another question about this function and the famous date
format problem but... Omega tells me the print to file function is
unreliable and advised me to use the FileAppend function .. and they offer
the ElDatetostring function to correct the Y2K formatting bug for dates
after 12/31/1999 .. I am trying to combine the 2 so I can write to a new
file the date, net profit, close, etc etc.
1) My first problem comes from the brackets that follow the ElDateToString
function -- what are they for?  I don't want to convert one date to the
correct format but all dates that need to be corrected.
2)How do I (or can I ) add the ElDateToString function to the FileAppend
command?  Does the FileAppend command in fact create a file the same way
that the Print command does? .. or does it just add a character string to an
existing file?

Thanks in advance for any help
Chris Evans