Re: Intraday stop loss

In a message dated 10/9/00 7:09:18 PM Pacific Daylight Time, muzzy@xxxxxxxx
writes:

<< Hi All,
 Does anyone know anything for tradestation that will tell you the
 max (long entry to low) value during a long trade and the max
 (short entry to high) value during a short trade, if the trade was
 a winner? Also values for the average heat, most common amount
 of heat and maybe even how much heat per dollar gained, stats like that.

 What I am trying to work out is if the trade was a winner, how much
 heat did I have to take? This would apply to any system but the way
 I want to use it is I have an nextopen + 30% * range entry and the
 exit is setexitonclose. I can't backtest for an intra day stop with
 daily data but with this I can get an idea of where a good stop may be.

 Any hints would be greatly appreciated,

 Thanks
 Paul

>From your post I wasn't sure just exactly what sort of data you're trying to
do this with or what version of TS you're working with.  I'm a recent
"upgrade" to TS2000 and the new software was quite improved in their "systems
analysis" area.  One of these features does just what you are looking for if
I've properly understood what you'd like to do.  Also, back in my TS4 days, I
used EXCEL along with TS data exported to EXCEL compatible format to do quite
a bit on playing with the "heat" and "reward"  occurring during the time
trades were "alive".  In fact, this became a major component of my "systems
analysis" efforts.  I'm not sure if what I've done with EXCEL would be of
interest to you but if you think it might, please e-mail me privately and
I'll be happy to share with you what I can.

Lee Scharpen