Re: windows millenium & ts4

"Monte C. Smith" <mcs@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>Gary Fritz wrote:
>> Ever hear of a little company called Digital Equipment Corporation,
>> and their rather popular OS called VMS?  :-)
>
>Yes, and I've heard some 'debates' between VMS and UNIX adherents that
>put democrat-republican frays to shame.

I can believe it!  For several years we ran both, back in corporateville
as the engineering computer environment evolved and some things
ran only under VMS.  DEC was passionately in love with VMS and seemed
to have to be dragged kicking and screaming into fully supporting Ultrix.
In the end, it seemed the pressure from their customers won out and
they jumped on board, but by then Sun was eating their lunch.

The general impression in our engineering group was that VMS was
designed by suits---very secure, reliable, and inflexible---whereas
the fact that Unix was designed by two hackers for their personal
use was endearing to the engineers who had to use it---fast, reliable,
very flexible, and secure enough.

I can see how Bill Gates, the man who made his mark by selling BASIC
to suits, would be fond of VMS.

Jim