Re: Ascii file handling program

Phil Schuch wrote:

> Hello list
>
> Is anybody aware of a good ascii file handling program to deal with
> large files? The file size is about 350MB with 2000000 records. I need
> some basic functions as "search - replace", and character picks
> depending on the "place" in the string,...
>
> Thanks; I appreciate any suggestions.
>
> Rgds
> Phil

With most Ascii edititors "vi" included is they try to load the data on
the your tty terminal. You will then get the error "file to large, loading
partial file".
A good alternative would be to use filters that directly work on the ascii
file.
As these are gnu tools they might also be available on the windows
platform.
Try using "grep, egrep, sed & awk" (Most come installed with all unix
machines)

Regards
Shawn
--
Ricercar Fund /SA "Quarendo Invenietis"  Website:
http://www.RicercarFund.com