Re: Ascii file handling program

>Is anybody aware of a good ascii file handling program to deal with
>large files? The file size is about 350MB with 2000000 records. I need
>some basic functions as "search - replace", and character picks
>depending on the "place" in the string,...

You can try "sed" (originally under Unix, now ported to most OSes).
I would recommend GNU sed 3.02 which comes on every relatively
recent version of Linux (SuSE, RedHat etc).

Number of records is irrelevant and the GNU version also has no
record (line) length restriction

Have a look at the excellent FAQ at http://www.ptug.org/sed/sedfaq.htm

Good luck,

Michael.