Re: Off topic: Optimizing Win 2K

Here is what you can do...its kinda quick and dirty but it works....Use the
performance monitor built into Win2K...
start-programs-administrative-performance.  Click the "+" sign to add
counters for the 'network interface'. On the internet side box you should
have two and maybe three listing...one for each nic and one possibly for the
loopback interface...select both start watching....On the other box do the
same thing but you should only have one network card listed...Now go
download something, preferably a large file that will take over a minute or
so to download...FYI the Microsoft servers and usually the CNET servers can
really crank out the download speed....I've gotten up to 175KB a sec from
both sites!...Now as the download(s) happen just compare the counters...On
my internet sharing box (Win2k advanced server) the counters were identical,
meaning the NAT process that Win2K is using is really quick.  I've noticed
that if you use a Win98SE box for the shared interface that you lose about
25% throughput.  As for the registry stuff I just used the convenient zip
file that you can get from www.speedguide.net in their Win2k tweaks section.
There are a few things to consider before you use proxy server.  1st is that
to load it on a Win2k box you need a update that lets you actually load
it...second is that you lose internet mail connectivity unless you have the
clients use the MS proxy client program that gets created when you install
the proxy software...OTOH you can filter and really lock down the network
that sits behind the proxy than when you just use the internet sharing only
function of either Win2K or Win98SE.

Hope this helps,
Mike Lange