FW: Omega Research Unveils TradeStation.com at OmegaWorld

I also sat in on the tradestation.com demo and found it intriguing. On the
plane to New York, the person I attended with and I were discussing the fact
that we really didn't see where Omega was going next with 2000i, and the
demonstration showed an interesting possibility. As we all know, the
problems we encounter are due to the three legged nature of the way system
trading is accomplished today: software platform, data service, and actual
trade execution by brokers. I can see Omega is trying to change their
business model by focusing on data and brokerage services for the active
stock trader (so far). When asked about the current platform, all the Omega
people whom I talked said the company was committed to the current platform
for the foreseeable future.

What I saw of tradestation.com was limited to Bill Cruz's demonstration the
first day and a quick and dirty in their booth with one of the Omega
demonstrators. Since the demonstrations were not real-time with "real data"
it was hard to judge, but the benefits of simplifying the "data" problems we
all experience was a plus. For stock traders, the order execution technology
that Bill Cruz demonstrated was very interesting and seems to have great
potential... if it will really work the way it was demonstrated. I still
dubious about how all that data is going to fit in a 56k pipe, but the
demonstration was done real time to a test server on a 56k dial up line (it
might even have been at 33k) and it seems to work quite fast... surprisingly
so. As far as I could tell, Bill Cruz dialed up when starting the demo to an
ATT World net dial up. He did have one crash early on, but the product isn't
even in Beta yet.

I also talked with Mike Burke who is the Optionstation product manger and he
said that they anticipate being able to go online with OS very shortly after
the working tradestation.com product is launched. For option traders, not
having to manage the variants of all the options symbols sounds very
interesting. The way Mike described it to me, their plans are that when you
load a chart, all the price and option data will be loaded at that time. Not
having to manage LEAPS, wraps, split symbols, etc... in the global server is
a plus.

As far as easy language support, I attended an intermediate/advanced easy
language class hosted by Gaston Sanchez from Omega and the feeling I got
from him is that ALL his time has been spent working on easy language for
the .com version for quite a few months. One interesting new feature of
tradestation.com is the integration of the power editor into the
tradestation application. It was my understanding that you will be able to
have your easy language code open within the workspace along with your
charting data; no need to have power editor as a separate application.

Pertaining to futures, they insisted that it is coming down the pipeline 'as
soon as feasible'. I didn't really get a straight answer as to what the
problems exactly are pertaining to futures data or exactly what their
timeframe is for futures data and support.

I found Omegaworld to be a worthwhile experience once you get past some of
the hype. Omega put on a pretty classy affair and provided a pretty good
cross section of industry "experts" and product support types. I felt I got
my money's worth. A lot of the sessions were given by people who also had
product booths in the exhibit hall, but the sales pitch was really kept to a
minimum during their presentations.

The conference ended at around 2:30 pm on Sunday... just in time for the
Puerto Rican National Day parade down 6th Avenue right in front of the
Hilton where all this was going on. Had to wait almost an hour for a cab to
LaGuardia!

Dave Forbes
david_a_forbes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx