Re: Analyzing TraderGirl

It is not in the nature of man - nor of any living entity - to start out by giving up, by spitting in one's own face and damning existence;  that requires a process of corruption whose rapidity differs from man to man.  Some give up at the first touch of pressure;  some sell out;  some run down by imperceptible degrees and lose their fire, never knowing when or how they lost it.  Then all of these vanish in the vast swamp of their elders who tell them persistently that maturity consists of abandoning one's mind;  security, of abandoning one's values;  practicality, of losing self-esteem.  Yet a few hold on and move on, knowing that that fire is not to be betrayed, learning how to give it shape, purpose, and reality.

--  Ayn Rand, from the Introduction to "The Fountainhead"