Re: Tharp's Expectancy

Paul,

Perhaps the confusion may lie in what Tharp factors into his concept of
"expectancy."    When YOU use the words "... I can imagine a negative
expectancy game that would make money ...", I assume you mean percentage of
winners versus percentage of losers.   So as an example, I imagine you may
be thinking to cut your losses when wrong, and perhaps add to the size of
your positions when they are proving correct.

However, this is not what Tharp is considering when he says "expectancey."
Tharp's expectancey consists of 4 pieces.  Only one of the pieces is
Percentage of winners.  The other 3 factors are:
1- relative size of profits versus loses.
2- cost of making trade and
3- how often you get the opportunity to trade.

Tharp is certainly agreeing with you when you say "position sizing is
important," as he says it is the most important aspect of sytem design.(page
306).

Regards,

Barry