Re:would you suggest a router? something else?

It sounds like your ISP would like to convert you to a business account.  I
have a cable modem and after installing a firewall I became quite aware of
how often I was being "hit" (about 100 "hits" per month) and decided to add
another layer of isolation.  I installed the Linksys BEFSR41 Cable/DSL
Router (street price about $160 US) and the firewall has not recorded a
"hit" since I installed it.  Additionally, the router has Network Address
Translation which allows up to 253 users on a single IP address.  I will
continue to run my firewall (ZoneAlarm) for trojan horse (outgoing) and
added incoming protection.

So far I am very satisfied.  The set up was a little long most probably due
to my inexperience with a router.

Bob Scott