RE: ThinkJava?

Why aren't you supporting Open Source?  Why are you backing a proprietary
> programming language, is my question? . Why on earth would you support Sun
in
its attempts to create a language they control?"

One reason: because Java programmers are among the highest paid web
programmers out there  -- around $125+/hr plus (checkout www.realrates.com).
ASP folks come in lower.  Open Source is a nice idea but not practical.  The
only way it will become practical is if a company can make money through
advertising revenue, selling add ons, or some other scheme.   You watch,
more and more stuff produced by public Linux companies will not be open
source.  Also, they'll be a lot less stable than the Linux OS becuase the
company has only limited resources to develop their software (unlike Linux)
and they have to pay their testers something.  Once you put software in the
realm of public financing (ie markets), companies can no longer afford to
give their software away.  I noticed freshmeat.com was acquired by a Andover
and banner ads started to appear.  This is probably the main source of
revenue to justify it's continued support.

Java does have a symbol: SUNW.  And you can trade a basket of similar stocks
on the NASDAQ futures if you have to have futures.  Personally, I don't care
weather it's open source and closed source.  All I care about is how much
it's going to make per hour.  College idealism is nice but in the face of
bills and the desire for material wealth, it looses luster fast.  Getting in
on the ground floor of a growing trend can be good, if the baby trend
continues but that's a risk you take.

As for the Borg thing, some of would argue that the Borgs have already
arrived and enslaved us: they're called PC's.  But lets take another open
source idea: the human genome.  Giving the world and all of the crazed fruit
baskets out there access to that information can and will produce some of
the nastiest viruses you ever saw.  And they won't just effect your
hardware, they will effect you and you probably will be dead.  So is open
source the panacea it's cracked up to be?

Java can't be that junkie if someone is willing to pay me $125/hr+ to code
it and the trend is still growing. Java has been with us for some time and
it's still growing.  Your opinion is that the market's wrong here.  Is the
market ever wrong?  No, just one's interpretation of it.