The Justice Department, etc.

From: "William Wood" <wrwood@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "John Manasco" <john@xxxxxxxxxxx>; <editorial@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Omega
List" <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, May 13, 2000 7:41 AM
Subject: RE: DBC Microsoft Mentality

> I like Tradergirl, a right fiesty young lady.  And how does anyone know
what
> she's got of value to trade.  Pretty presumptious to assume she's asking
for

Thanks for your support
(as Elvis used to say; by the way I loved Elvis, he really produce value! :)

> something for nothing.  And to compare MSFT to the mafia.  Wow there's an
> analogy that escaped me.  I use MSFT software because it is better.  MSFT
> has improved my computer life trememdously.  I dont mind that they
developed
> superior software based in part on the ideas of others.  Whats wrong with
> that.  Stolen??  Get real, if anything was stolen MSFT would have been
> prosecuted and sued and would now be bankrupt.  MSFT is still around and
Im
> still buying thier software.  Netscape???  Real Audio???  Is this comment
> from a stockholder in those cos.  I used Netscape in several versions and
> erased it.  Explorer is better.  I do use Real Audio.  It works in places
> where MS Media player doesnt.  But Real Audio aint any better.  I could
care
> less if Real goes down the tubes if MSFT's new player works better.  I
want
> better software and as a consumer with no loyalty whatsoever I will buy
the
> best no matter who makes it.  So far MSFT makes the best of most of the
> software I use.
> And MSFT should get thiers.  Oh I see, it is good that the US Govt attacks
> this country's major companies at the behest of competitors.  Personally
it
> makes me sick to see our Justice Dept representing Netscape and other
> whiners who cant make better software and attacking a company what holds
> what could only be at most a temporary monopoly that they busted thier
butts
> to get.  In the new economy you have to let entrepreneurs get what they
can
> get fast cause ideas and knowledge are not a durable as railroad tracks
and
> manufacturing plants.  If you like the Govt directly interfering in the
> private business economy I suggest you move to Russia.  In this country if
> company actually commits a compensible wrong, the injured party can sue in
> civil court.  IF they have a case.  So if Netscape or Sun or anybody else
> had a gripe they should have sued instead of whining to the Justice Dept.
> Just my opinions
> Bill Wood

This is why I like free software, like Linux.  Because everything is free.
If it takes
over, there is no monopoly.  The justice department has no target.  There
are
already hundreds of thousands of Linux developers out there.  When it
becomes
a standard, and believe me, it will, no matter what anyone thinks, it will
be great,
great because it will be a monopoly, but a monopoly of the individual.

No one gets it quite yet, because entry is a little hard for people to quite
grasp
it.  I have a dual pentium Linux box, that can do 7 times to bogomips a
Windows
machine can process after the OS's are loaded... and that is with 6 users on
my system.

Netscape does suck.  I agree.  And if anyone wants to know where it all
started,
the browser came from MOSAIC, a free piece of software.  Mosaic is still
produced, and you can download it.  If it weren't for free software,
Windows98
and 2000 would not be where it is today.

Capitalism is a great thing.  Free is even a more exciting concept.  Free
browsers,
free internet connections, free data from exchanges, no taxes, just one big
marketplace
that creates a true capitalism.

I know I am out of my mind, but perhaps when I grow up a bit more, I'll
become more
realistic, but for now, I believe in what I believe in, and I hope my
generation can change
society for the better.

Signed,

TG