Re:Memory leaks and SoftIce - Anyone check this?

Cash,

SoftIce is great product, but it is meant for more systems level debugging
where other debuggers can't get to. There are better tools than this today
at the application level, i.e., Great Circle from Geodesic Systems. This not
only acts as a debugger for memory leaks, it is also a garbage collector at
it's core, and therefore if linked to a program would eliminate memory leaks
on  a running program.

It is important to note two things very well:

1) A progranm may have a "logical memory leak," in which case nothing less
than Data from Start Trek (or any human programmer) that would be able to
understand that the code written was buggy in a logical sense would be able
to fix the code.

2) There are very few if any programs that deal with resource leaks on a
running program, which many people mistake for a memory leak (memory leaks
happen on the heap, resource in Microsofts internal data structures.)

Omega could get rid of 90% of their memory leak problems if they SIMPLY
linked in the Great Circle library. But as far as  know, Great Circe still
does not solve the resource leak problem. In addition, since it appears that
Omega is already linking with Numega's SmartHeap for fast heap allocation,
it would not be (easily) possible to have both Great Circle's gc and
Numega's fast heap allocation in  a program AT THE SAME TIME.

FWIW, Great Circle can be used by an end user to fix memory leaks in a
program for which he does not have the source code (and therefore cannot
relink the program with the Great Circle malloc/new/etc replacement library)
! It is a kind of runtime linking scheme based on injecting their .dll into
the address space of a program.

Regards,

Ivan