Re: DTN's new 8800 ethernet box

>I just called support and they're providing 2
>connections - ethernet or USB but not a RS232.

Let's stipulate for the sake of investigation that they DO provide a
Rs232 port.

Here is what we DO know:

The reason for the new box is that the old one and the related
satellite will not be able to handle the options data after July 1st.
If you notice, the 8000 already has a ethernet connection.  If TS2000
already could take input via ethernet why wouldn't it do so now?

Eighty percent of the current data (according to DTN) is options data.
The new box will use a higher bandwidth satellite and carry both
options as well as all the other data the the current box sends.  The
fastest serial port available is currently  0.460 MB the new box will
connect via ethernet at 10 MB.

If there WAS a serial port it would be very unlikely that you would
want to use it because of the droppped data or data overruns.

The dropping of options completely from the 8000 box allows the
transmission of the remaining data without data loss, but still use
the serial port.

"Success is the only test of genius" -R.Adm Daniel Gallery 1901-1977