Re: Better than Black Ice

   there may be other reasons for "it really works your CPU and slows
your system".
   I use Sygate and ZoneAlarm while daytrading. For reasons unrelated to
this topic I measured (using Wintop) the CPU-load on March 9th, 2000
(I do this regularly to check my systems).
   For daytrading I use my slowest and most robust PC: Celeron 333MHz
193MB RAM, 3 screens. My daytrading session lasted about 6 hours.
According to Wintop the CPU-usage was as follows:

Idle(RAIN)                         77%      (that is nothing to do)
TS_CHART.EXE                 4%       (TS4)
EXPLORER.EXE                3.3%
SGSERV.EXE                    3%      (Sygate)
VSMON.EXE                      2.1%    (ZoneAlarm)
POPMOUSE.EXE               2%       (Mouse-Utility)
MBM4.EXE                        1.7%    (MotherboardMonitor)
DYNASTORE.EXE              1.5%
ZONEALARM.EXE              1.4%    (ZoneAlarm)
WRBPRO.EXE                    1.4%   (WinRamBooster )
DUNMON.EXE                     1%     (DialupNetworkMonitor)
OR_SIG.EXE                       0.6%
PINGPLOTTER.EXE             0.5%   (Traceroute-utility to check the
                                              quality of my broker's online system)

   6.5% of the CPU-time were used by Sygate and ZoneAlarm. For me
that's worth it.
   That my relatively slow 333MHz Celeon has not much to do is
supported by the fact that MotherboardMonitor shows in the desktray
most of the time(98%) a CPU-temperature of 72degreeF(or 22degreeC). If
the CPU is really busy, it heats up to 120degreeF.

Nick