From: Mark Jurik <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2000 6:12 PM
Subject: FW: Natural hour bars

> Here's a nice piece of research regarding the phasing of hourly bars...
>
> I was shown results of a trading system on the S&P that used hourly bars.
In this experiment, the same system was run on the same data, however, each
time it was run, the hour was shifted by 1 minute.  So in the first run ,
the hourly bars were on 9:00, 10:00, etc.  On the second run, the bars were
set on 9:01, 10:01, etc.  In total, sixty runs were made.

> On a chart, the overall net profit of each run was plotted with phasing
along the x-axis.   The curve was smooth and net profit plummetted like a
notch filter response curve at precisely when the bars were 9:00, 10:00.
etc.  You get superior performance when the bars are phased out by 20
minutes or so, that is, when the bars are 9:20, 10:20, etc.

> So, what would be the reason?   I like to think that if you based your
trades on the same signals as everyone else, then you have to share the
potential profits with a very large crowd.  Does that make sense?  Any other
viewpoints?