Re: Data Feeds

I just got DTN satellite and I am stunned by the number of ticks I am
getting, and the price of the service and the responsive customer service
which has recently agreed to split the Adv/Decl numbers into 2 separate
symbols.  I disagree with your friend's assertion here on 2 points.

1 - There is no reason why a single receiver could not receive more than 2
channels.  I believe the current DTN configuration broadcasts price data on
one channel and news on a second channel.  That means they have roughly
112Kb currently.  When I spoke to PC Quote about Hyperfeed, if I remember
correctly I was told that they use a 256Kb Frame Relay circuit.  So DTN
satellite is already halfway there.

2 - The back of my DTN receiver has a serial port, a parallel port, and an
ethernet port (RJ-45).  The ethernet port says it is 10Mb, easily enough to
move several channels of satellite data from the receiver to my PC.

The total initial cost was $298 including dish and receiver.  How much could
a few more crystals cost?  I still hear too many stories about intermittent
problems with cable and DSL connections to be ready to rely on one.  When
the internet feeds start providing refresh data for lost connections and the
data servers (UMDS in this case) can retrieve the refresh data, then I'll
consider switching.

Kent