Re: trends/O'Neil

I have seen Bill O'Neil mentioned a number of times on this list. I don't do EL
so I can't contribute anything there. I do know something about Bill O'Neil, so
here is some info that may give some incite to those of you who are interested
in Bill and his systems.

Bill originally discovered the "cup and handle (originally saucer)" formation in
the late 60s. It was a pattern that repeated frequently in the '67-'68 bull
market. Bill had help from a top market technician named Chet Pado and a super
tape reader named Don George. Chet had been the (closet) TA at Fidelity and was
Jerry Tsai's (for you old timers) right hand man. Don George had been a welder
at Lockheed before before he began making his living off the ponies, and,
eventually, the stock market. He had a knack ! The discovery of the "cup &
handle" was probably a collaborative effort. CANSLIM, on the other hand, came
pretty much from Bill alone. From his market observations and from the ideas of
some of history's great traders (i.e.. Livermore, Loeb, Baruch). Bill is a great
reader and distiller of ideas.

In 1967 the O'Neil Fund was the top performing fund in the country - +116.3 %
barely edging out Fred Carr and the Enterprise Fund. At the top of the market in
1968 Wm. O'Neil + Co. was on top of the world. Bill was one of the highly
successful young "gunslingers" of the '60s. Money was pouring into his
individual and institutional accounts as well as several mutual funds he
managed.

To make a long story short, the 2 phase 1969-1974 bear market hit. Bill was
never able to make any money on the short side. In fact every time the market
hit a short term selling climax, Bill thought the bear market was over and began
buying the  stocks which were breaking out, only to be stopped out quickly. By
the time the market hit it's final low in 1974 Bill had lost nearly all of his
accounts and  was, basically, out of the management business and in the
publishing business with his chart services. During the 2 major down legs of
this very, very long bear market, neither "cups & handles" nor CANSLIM worked.
Nothing worked on the long side. Keep in mind that these are only bull market
strategies. Much to Bill's credit he stayed alive and survived to play another
day. He is an amazing guy. A great innovator and no one is a better stock
picker. Mostly though, he does NOT give up. I would think that his books and
ideas should be at the top of any new traders reading list.

Jim