Re: Windows 2000 Professional; MAYBE great news

>.......Is there anything in W2K that really enhances what we have in NT?

1) The W98 interface (for those who like it). Grab the icons
on your desktop, drag them down to the taskbar and release.
You can start all your programs from the taskbar....very
convenient. There's also an option which eliminates the need
to double-click icons on the desktop to start programs.

2) Plug and Play. I installed from scratch and W2k found
everything. In fact, my Jaz drive works the way it was
intended to work (I can actually change disks without
rebooting).

3) Drivers are all there. Again, installing from scratch,
W2k found everything in my system and connected thereto and
installed the appropriate drivers. With NT, I think I had at
least 5 reboots. I had to install the SCSI, IDE, keyboard,
video, and sound drivers one at a time (took forever). W2k
did all of that for me. FWIW, the machines I have are HP
Kayaks.

4) Fragmentation. If I don't defrag my NT machine on a
weekly basis (at least), it turns into a slug. I've been
running Beta 3 (and now RC2) for several months and have
defragged maybe 4 times.

I had been running NT on my machines for a long time when I
installed Beta 3 (out of curiosity, for the most part). I
was secretly hoping it would suck compared to NT but, so
far, that hasn't been the case.

Best regards,
Jim