RE: Server

It is usually tricky to get your initial connection between DTN box and GS.
I need more info to give you specifics.  What build of GS are you using.
What OS are you using.  Do you have correct driver for serial card and can
you get data thru it using Hyperterminal at any speed.

I have to trick GS into connecting to DTN box.  Once it gets its initial
connection, it works perfectly thereafter until GS locks up or crashes.  I
have not had any GS crashes with SP4b.  Procedure is set up serial card as
per mfg instructions.  The card does not get set to any specific speed, it
autosenses the speed from the device sending the data.  Setting the port
speed in Windows is not necessary.   Just use the default settings which are
over-ridden by GS anyway.  But you must first get a connection to DTN box
using Hyperterminal to prove the card works.  Garbled data will come in.
You have to do this when data is coming in.  The box connect routine does
not work well unless some data is moving.  I usually do this at about 7pm
EST when there is a moderate flow of data.

Start out setting DTN box to 115.2.  Start GS offline and set the connect
speed to 115.2.  Click the File/Work Offline to try to connect.  If it only
initializes, close GS and restart it in Online mode.  It should connect
automatically at 115.2  If that doesnt work, exit all programs and reboot
then restart GS in online mode.  This always connects me at 115.2.  Then set
DTN box to 460.8, set GS to 460.8, then close GS and restart in online mode.
This always connects me at 460.8.

It is possible that GS doesnt work with the card you chose.  I use the
PacificCommware Port 920 card and it works great.  I had it working under
Win98 but now I use NT4 SP6.  Still works perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Bill Wood