Re: [Re: [Software Alternatives to TradeStation/Custom indicators..]]

  • To: Richard Josslin <DStan34930@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [Re: [Software Alternatives to TradeStation/Custom indicators..]]
  • From: John Berentson <shavenheads@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 22:41:37 -0800

I had that stopping problem when I first tried Dynastore. The Signal Server
would fall behind, then stop, then suddenly start again but with a big chunk
of missing data. I solved this problem by reducing the number of issues
tracked to a bare minimum. MSFT, which may have four times the daily ticks of
$INDU (on 1/14 I have 43865 ticks for MSFT, though 20,000+ is more usual;
11392 ticks for $INDU; and 5772 for SP H0, a slow day), is definitely
overloading your buffer, though it shouldn't as it doesn't seem to overload
mine.

I have MSFT as one of my symbols. Tomorrow, if I have a chance, I will try to
compare it with QCharts and see if it falls behind.

Richard Josslin <TaoOfDow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear jfb & Group,
>
> I have mentioned some of this to jfb privately and I'd like to add my
experience
> to the public record.
>
> I first began using the Quote.com + DynaStore + TS4 combination on a single
> PIII/500.  I was collecting data generally for three indices and no more
than four
> stocks and was charting only INDU.  There, my usual problem was at the open
of the
> stock market, while QCharts would show INDU charting successfully on a
1-minute
> screen, TS4 on a 1-minute screen would slow down perhaps 10-fold, such that
the
> TS4 screen would still be on its first 1-minute bar when QCharts would have
shown
> 5-10 1-minute bars.  After a half hour of bars on QCharts, the TS4 screen
would
> show the first 2-3 minutes of data.
>
> After that, I moved TS4 to a second computer, a P233, and ran a null-modem
cable
> from the P500 to the P233.  That improved my experience with TS4 charting
INDU.
> Only occasionally would the INDU screen lag signficantly or simply stop
> altogether.
>
> I added a Pacific CommWare TurboExpress 920 Port card to the P233 and
shifted the
> null modem cable from Com1 to the CommWare card (Com3).  I talked with the
> CommWare tech suppport guy about my TS charting problem, purportedly caused
by
> overloading the serial port with data, and asked him if he thought the
CommWare
> card might help, and he said No, but I thought I would try it anyware (at
$80).
> Frankly, I don't believe it does help and am thinking of removing it.  I was
also
> disappointed with the CommWare card as it came as an ISA card and I would
have
> preferred a PCI card.  I called CommWare and was told that they do not make
their
> card in a PCI configuration.  If any of you know where I could buy an
inexpensive
> (say <= $100) data-buffering serial card in a PCI configuration, I would
> appreciate your telling me about it.
>
> From there, I quit charting INDU and began charting MSFT, again with
1-minute
> bars.  TS4 charts MSFT well, mostly, but sometimes although I don't get the
> slowing down like I used to with INDU, instead, TS4 simply stops charting,
> period.  From there, I have to stop both TS Charting and Data Server and
bring
> them both back up again.  I then added a volume indicator and my
observations
> indicate that when TS4 stops charting MSFT, those times are always
correlated with
> particularly high tick rates, generally faster than 1/second.  I should also
add
> that I get LOTS of bad ticks, which I have to stop and delete.
>
> From there, I thought that I would switch computers, such that I would use
the
> P233 for Quote.com and DynaStore and the P500 for TS4.  I have made that
change,
> but for reasons that I don't understand, I can't get my new installation of
TS4 on
> the P500 to recognize the TS Security Block, so I haven't been able to see
if this
> switch improves matters.
>
> And by the way, I am using a cable modem, which runs at approx 500 (as
opposed to
> around 50 with a 56K phone modem) and no firewall.
>
> So, like jfb, I "almost never fall behind the action" --- instead, my TS4
charting
> program gives lots of bad ticks and sometimes just simply stops, during
high
> volume.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Richard
>

> DStan34930@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > I am also.
> > Can you provide us with an example of the setup you use?
> >     SDSL? ADSL? Firewall? Special serial port?
> > What's an example of your interpretation of falling behind the markets?
> > I would imagine that someone charting tic data would have a different
> > perception of falling behind as opposed to someone charting 5min as
> > opposed to someone charting hourly.
> >
> > dave
> >
> > <<<
limit
> > the number of securities/indices you follow. I am trading the S&P's and
almost
> > never fall behind the action.
> >
> > jfb
> > shaven heads trading