off topic: NT partition types

I recently switched from win98 2nd ed. with Windows optimized FAT32 to NT4
SP5 for TS4.  Everything is great except disk access is very slow -- pages
take much longer to load.  I am wondering if it has something to do with
partition types -- curious what others feel are the most efficient.
Currently have NT and TS on a 4 gig FAT16 partition (64 K clusters) IDE.
Not interested in switching to SCSI -- just looking to get closer to what I
had before.  I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on any of the following?

1. Would going to smaller partitions with smaller clusters increase speed?

2. Would putting TS on a FAT32 partition (using the Winternals FAT32 driver)
increase speed?
2a. Could the FAT32 driver be slowing things down?

3. Is NTFS faster than FAT16 -- I have heard conflicting reports?

4.  Would there be any significant speed increase by putting TS on a similar
2nd physical drive?

5.  Running all partitions as FAT32 except for NT seems a logical choice,
except that you cannot defrag the FAT32 partitions without going into 95/98.
Anyone know of a way to defrag a FAT32 disk from a DOS floppy or someway
without having a whole OS just for that purpose?
5a. Any recommendations for NT defrag utilities in general?

I realize a this issue goes away with NT2000, but I figure they need 6-12 mo
for others to find the bugs before I jump in.  Any advice would be
appreciated.

Regards,

Chris Cheatham
(reply to nchrisc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)