Re: off topic: PIII vs Athlon

> does it makes sense to get an Athlon instead of Penitum IIIs just
> for TS 4.0? Does TS 4.0 uses floating point calculations heavily?

I'm 99.999% sure the answer is "hell yes."  Consider that there is no
such thing as an "integer" data type in EL.  I believe ALL user-
declared variables are floating point, so ALL system code is FP.

However, most likely the bulk of the time is spent not in EL, but in
TS internal code (charting, managing data & orders, etc etc) and most
of that is probably integer based.

So I'd suspect better FP performance would help, but not
dramatically.  Faster integer performance would probably make a
bigger impact.

> Which one would be better when one strives for speed and
> mathematical accuracy in computerized trading?

If you are really concerned about math accuracy, then you shouldn't
be using TS.  Single-precision math and all that.  IEEE math routines
are strictly defined, so all CPU's should return *identical* FP
results (or it's a bug!), so one CPU vs another won't change much.
But single vs. double precision makes a BIG difference in some kinds
of code.

Gary