Re: A VERY DEAD HARD DRIVE

> Subject:           A VERY DEAD HARD DRIVE
>    Date:           Thu, 13 Jan 2000 09:28:31 EST
>    From:           MarketMayvin@xxxxxxx
>      To:           omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
>
>Hello out there
>      I need a second opinion on my dead hard drive. I was always under the
>impression that even if you have a hard drive failure, there would be some
>software out there to extract all the valuable documents stuck inside. I was
>told yesterday that my hard drive is deader than a dead nail. Can this be?
>How is it possible? Can someone out there tell me if it is possible to revive
>a really dead hard drive? It was a western bell. Aren't they one of the best
>hard drive makers? I need some help for my current status and I think I need
>a job because I don't know even where to start to get everything replaced if
>I can even remember what was in there.

You have about the same chances of reviving a dead hard drive
as reviving a dead horse.  If it's dead it's dead.  Happens
to even the best horses.  You could send it to a data recovery
shop and they might be able to recover the data, if the drive
(i.e., the magnetic surface) is not physically damaged.
But that will be very costly.  The REASONABLE thing to do is
BACK UP YOUR DATA REGULARLY.  This is a lesson we all have to
learn at least once, sort of like  selling a loser.

There are some software programs that purport to be able to
recover data.  I have tried Norton Utils and Hard Drive Mechanic,
neither of which worked.  I understand that Powerquest's Lost & Found
does a better job (but it is a more recent program.)  Of course, the
hard drive must be running and accessible by the CPU.
A dead drive is, well, dead.   BACKUP!  BACKUP!

After you get that job buy yourself a second computer, too, to
have ready to go if the first one fails.

Sorry, Charlie.

donc