Re: off topic - video expansion question

"Nixon(MLS)" <mbjp57@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a notebook (DELL Inspiron 3000) which I use for order entry
> to my brokers.  I am about to start using Interactive brokers and
> their software requires 1028x768 resolution.    As it stands I
> cannot get all the IB workspace on to the screen.  Is there some
> way of acheiving this.

Which 3000 do you have?  The Dell site says the 3000 screen has a max
resolution of 800x600 on the M166ST/M200ST/M233ST, but 1024x768 on
the M233XT and M266XT.

If you have the 1024x768 display, you can set the resolution to that.
 Do you know how to do that?  (Right-click on the desktop, select
Properties, pick the Settings tab, and reset your Desktop Area and
optionally your Color Palette and Font Size.)

If you have the 800x600, there's no way for you to get the full
display on screen at once.

Possible solutions:

* Some laptops (e.g. our Toshiba Tecra) support a "pan" mode.  The
Settings tab will let you set the resolution to higher than 800x600,
but only 800x600 is visible at once.  You can "slide" the display
around to see all of the 1024x768, but not all at once.

* If you're using this at home, consider plugging a 1024x768 or
larger display into the video port on the back of your 3000.  Your
video card should support higher resolutions on that display.

Gary