Re: [Fwd2: refresh file]

At 6:19 AM -0500 1/5/00, editorial@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>If you really disagreed you would have posted a detailed rebuttal, outlining the logic which leads to the conclusion you support, as is your habit.

Sorry I misunderstood you. I thought you were being facetious so figured a little humor was appropriate. This is beginning to drift off-topic but since you asked...

While I would agree that most people would initially have the response you espouse, in real life things are not quite so black and white.

So you find yourself working in a company where the management tells you to ship the produce before it is working, doesn't care about good development processes, doesn't care about whether or not the customers are successful using the product, doesn't care what existing users think about the product and concentrates on extracting money from new customers with slick "pot of gold at the end of the rainbow" ads, etc.

This is not the way you think a business should be run. So you can either "fight or switch".

To stay there and fight and have a chance of winning, you need need a base of power, which is hard to come by. And even if you win, you are likely to get a reputation as a troublemaker, which can severely limit your future prospects.

So you decide that you cannot work in such a place and decide to find a new job.

But when you consider the personal costs of finding a new job, forcing your spouse to find a new job in a new place, selling the house, buying a new house, taking your kids away from their friends, moving them to a new place with a new school, forcing them to find new friends, moving away from the in-laws, etc., etc., etc., you may tend to compromise your principles and do what you have to do to keep making a living.

---

"The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation"  (Henry David Thoreau)

---