RE: LAN question with NT workstation and Windows 98 and 3 tips

> This weekend I made my first excursion into a home LAN.  I
> purchased a 4 hub
> system by Netgear / Baynetworks.
>
> The machine I use to connect to my dial up ISP is a 133 Pentium
> with 128megs
> of RAM and runs NT workstation 4.0 with service pack 5.
>
> I have it connected to a Hewlett Packard 450 mhz. machine with 128 megs of
> RAM running windows 98.
>
> When I double click on Network Neighborhood on the NT machine, I only see
> the 98 machine listed in the Network.
>
> When I double click on Network Neighborhood on the 98 machine, I only see
> the 98 machine listed in the Network.
>
> I can transfer files from the NT machine to the 98 machine.
>
> I can ping the NT machine from the 98 machine.
>
> The service tech at Netgear duplicated my problem exactly, but he said he
> couldn't figure it out.  Does anyone have any ideas how I can see my NT
> machine on the Network ?

Did you set up a visible share on the NT computer.  Go into NT Explorer,
right click on a drive you want to share, click sharing, click New Share,
give it a share name, (the comment can be visible share).  This will let you
see the drive from other computers and the host computer in Network
Neighborhood and Nt Explorer.  You dont need to do this on the Win98 machine
only the NT machine.

Another bugabo is you may need to set up a User Acct on the NT machine for
the Win98 machine to access the NT machine.  Go to Admin Tools/User Mgr.
Click User/New User and give the Win98 machine its own acct.  Use the unique
network computer name you gave it when you setup networking and give it a
password.

These steps cured the problems you described for me.

I have 3 computers networked via a Netgear 4 port hub, 2 NT boxes and a
Win95 laptop.  All 3 have internet access via a single Cisco 675 DSL router
connected to the hub.  I use TCP/IP as my only protocol.  The Cisco router
uses DHCP and NAT to subnet the internal IP addresses behind the ISP
assigned public IP address stored in the router.  All 3 computers can see
each other, transfer files etc and may be simultaneously logged onto the
internet and surfing or downloading or emailing etc with no speed loss.

Good luck

Bill Wood