Re: Data Problems

KLindauer@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Today, 9/30 at around 7:15am the date on my data changed from 9/30/99 to
> 10/27/99.  I am using a BMI satelite feed with TS 4 b23.  I called BMI and
> they said they got a few other callers with the same problem and that it is
> only happening with TS users.  They researched it and assured me that they
> did not send out any data with an incorrect date stamp.  They tried to
> reproduce my problem on their computers running TS but could not. Also,  all
> their inhouse software shows the correctdate.  They think it is a software
> problem.

All data feeds which rely on people or instruments to measure a
physical property and transmit the quanitization of the measurements
have errors in both measurement and in transmission.  So you likely
received bad data.  Call it what you want; however, it is a software
bug, defect, or design failure to not check for and handle such data
stream errors.

All refineries, chemical plants, pipelines, etc. operate with SCADA
(Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition) systems.  While plants
blow up occasionally, have you ever heard a plant manager who is being
interviewed say the reason for the catastrophe was the control system
software got one bad data measurement?  I don't think so.  Bad data
is expected and handled.

But not Omega - they expect perfection in the data stream.

> I then called Omega and explained the situation.  They think it is a data
> problem

See above.  Strictly speaking Omega is probably correct.  But Omega
is at fault not to properly handle that type of data stream error.

> and suggested I delete the data and paste in the update from the
> Omega website (which dosent include Globex sessions).  They also told me that
> once the data is time and date stamped there is no way to change it.  It
> appears that if one bad date stamp comes through it messes up the entire day.

Software defect, no denying it.

> My friends BMI cable feed running TS4 b23 was fine.
>
> I received data fine all day, only the date is incorrectly recorded as
> 10/27/99
>
> Has anybody had this problem?

Yes, most subscribers, at least once.

> Any good solutions?

Yes and no.  Dump Omega products as soon as you can find a viable
alternative.  That's the yes part of the answer.  The no part is that
you may not be able to buy an alternative that meets your trading
requirements today.

I think the reason you have gotten few responses is that a similar
thing happened several months ago with widespread effects on many
subscribers to this list, me included.  It's been long enough that
I have forgotten the details, but it was the main topic of discussion
for multiple days on the list.  Old timers are talked out on the issue
and disgusted with the lack of a reasonable response from Omega.

Rod