Re: MB our saviour

On Fri, 10 Sep 1999, VladimirZ wrote:

> What would a trader do with a couple of million lines of source code? That
> would only be of use to other software developers. Good idea to give the
> program away for free though ;-)

As a trader, nothing.

However, there are more than a few traders who are computer literate and
might add a few good things to "Open Source" trading code. The open source
model is working very well with Linux - a modest number of folks code it,
and a large number of people use it. The money comes in from support, not
selling code. It is a nice alternative to Windoze.

It sounds as though you might have done TW code in modular fashion, as
does Linux. Good structure for open source.

Hey Mark - I believe this open source model could be successful for
trading software also. Give it away - then, if necessary, sell
support/data/etc. Or just give it away, let others add to it, and make a
killing in using it to trade. As a trader, it would reduce your coding
costs, and perhaps give you even more coders working on it.

I believe there would be quite a few folks interested in working on this.
It might become the most popular package out there - maybe we should call
it the Markus code (ala Linux :-).  Who knows, perhaps even the tradelab
folks would join in this, since they seem to be primarily traders anyway.

And - it would be a nice alternative to Omega :-).

Worth considering...

Larry