Re: Creeping Text - Status Line

>Subject:        Re: Creeping Text
>  Date:         Mon, 23 Aug 1999 12:40:55 -0400
>  From:         Ian Cunningham <CunCom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>    To:         "INTERNET:omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx" ><omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
>I had a problem with this code in the past. After making a note to
>myself on a chart, I noticed sometime later it had disappeared.
>It seems that for some reason the reference number changes under
>its own accord disqualifying the code. This happened several times
>until I gave up on it.
>Or, am I the only one with this problem? (TS4)
>
>Ian.

I have an alternative to the Text Display for TS4.  I was going to draw
some text, but decided it would often be obscured by the price, and I
didn't want to constantly move it on each chart.  And if the text is
drawn from an indicator it would not be movable.  So I decided to put it
in the Status Line.  (I place the Status Line across the top.)

Well, TS already puts the indicator values of graph 1 in the Status
Line, after the default status values.  But there is only a modest
amount of space there, so only several indicator values can be shown.  I
use only Date, C, Net, Vol for default  (set via Tools > Options >
Status Line).  This leaves about half the status line clear (I use two
charts across).  I am able to post two values in the remaining space.
But the indicators you want displayed must be added FIRST to the chart.
Otherwise another indicator will be there.  The good thing is the
results are repeatable: after getting the chart the way you want it, you
can create an Analysis Template from it and the results will be the same
when it is applied to other charts.

Another problem is how not to display the plots in the price graph.  You
can make plots the color of the background, so they won't be visible.
But the color of the plot is the color of the text in the status line.
(Anyway, do not use more plots than the displayed text, since they will
take up space on the status line even if you make them disappear, i.e.
set to the background color.)    I eliminated the plots by changing the
scaling so that the plots were never in the scale range.  For example, I
used negative values for an indicator the never has a negative value.
Therefore the plot is never displayed in the price graph.

Also, sometimes you may get more decimal places than you want.  I
reduced these to two by experimenting with  the scaling.  I use Max =
-0.5 and Min = -2.5 for one indicator for two decimal places.  Other
negative values may display a different quantity of decimal places. Why
this works I have no idea.  It certainly isn't explained in the manual.

You may want to create duplicate indicators with short names and the
above parameters to use only for the status line display.

TADA!  I just had another bright idea.  Each subgraph has its own status
line, in which is displayed the values of the plots.  You can do this
same trick with the other subgraphs: set the scaling out of the range of
the plots, so they will never show.  Then you can stack the subgraphs
very close together, and have essentially a "list" of indicator values
below the price graph !  (Sometimes you will get a very skinny plot.
You will need to move the edge of the subgraph slightly until all the
plot disappears.)

donc

And the  You have to arrange your indicators
so that the desired ones are displayed.