Re: Moving TS data

>Subject:         Moving TS data
>  Date:         Sat, 31 Jul 1999 08:48:33 -0600
>  From:         "Gary Fritz" <fritz@xxxxxxxx>
>    To:         omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
>
>I know the procedure for moving TS to a new computer:  install TS on
>the new system to set up the registry &etc, then delete the new Omega
>
>I don't think that will work for what I need.  My symbol universe &
>probably other things have gotten hosed by the Omega universe
>"upgrade" and who knows what else.  I can't add new symbols and other
>things are screwed up too.
>
>Furthermore, I'm still on build 21.  It sounds like the Y2K patch is
>reasonably stable so I'd like to upgrade to b23.  But I don't want to
>upgrade my current messed-up install.

Then you need to establish the 'best' configuration you can before
copying.  If you have hosed your universe, then you'd better have
a backup.  Or rebuild it.  Copying will not magically solve this
problem.

>So I want to install a fresh b18 (from CD), b21 upgrade, and b23
>upgrade, then copy my existing data and studies into that new
>install.  I don't want to do the "delete the new Omega directory"
>dance because I don't want the old, broken Omega directory any more.
>I just want the data &etc from the old directory.
>
>So how do I copy just my data, studies, and whatever else into a new
>TS install?

Just as you described.  You must install TS to establish the system and
database files.  You don't even have to delete the old Omega directory.
When you copy into the old directory, all old files will be overwritten
with
the new, and all new files (your data, studies, workspaces, etc) will be
added.

Be sure that the new TS install is up to the build level of the TS you
will
copy.   Don't install bld 23 and then copy bld 21 over it.  You could
install
bld 21, then copy bld 21, then upgrade to 23.