Re: Off topic....

Weekend verbal jousting?

>From: NHBob...
>

>It is "clear"? My, my, my.  Brutalized syntax aside,

This is a correction from a guy that said "more immortal" in the post that
preceeded mine.

>I'll see your claim of
>clarity with this hackneyed phrase: "It is clear that  if guns are
outlawed,
>only outlaws will have guns...

This is a misleading argument.  It is like a deflector shield.  It is not
incorrect.  It simply avoids the real issue.  People who would not otherwise
be criminals suddenly become criminals because of access to firearms.  Guns
are a convenient, easy way of killing.  Sure, one can use machetes and
knives and clubs, just not nearly as effectively.  Too much effort.  Oh, and
by the way, outlaws have access to those too.

This argument also implies that the only effective method of law enforcement
is for everyone to become a vigilante.  Is that the real problem?

>>in direct proportion" whatever that means.

It means more guns = more unnecessary death of law abiding people.

>And I'll raise you another quaint phrase:"Good people do not need laws to
>tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the
>laws."
>- Plato (427-347 B.C.)

Anarchists of the world UNITE!  Who needs laws, in that case.  Not the good
people.  The bad people just ignore them.  Abolish all laws.  Good
people/bad people - if it were only that simple.  What we need is for the
bad guys to wear black hats again.

Good people do not need to become prisoners of their own security.  Of all
the people killed violently in the last 10 years in the USA, what % were bad
guys...er I mean... criminals?  Any?  Certainly not all.  Every such act
created a criminal where there wasn't necessarily one before.  Perhaps  you
see every one that ever committed such a crime as a bad seed, just waiting
for a chance to show their true colors.  Like the father who shot his
teenage daughter.  She hid in the closet to frighten him as a joke.  That's
just one of thousands of such stories.

>and double down with this 20th century quote from another country:
>"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man
>who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains. "
>- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Seems plausible.

~Alan