Re: Off topic....

At 11:12 AM 07/30/1999 -1000, you wrote:
>One of the best examples in support of this argument that I've seen is the
>difference between Detroit and Toronto.
>
>Only 200 miles apart, same weather, same TV and radio stations and
>programming -- same movies playing at the theaters -- kids buy and play the
>same video games -- equal Internet access, etc., etc.
>
>Detroit is near the top of the list in murder and violent crime, Toronto has
>almost none.
>
>Only difference:
>
>Detroit = many guns
>
>Toronto = no guns...

****

Dear Ron,

If you were air-dropped into Detroit & then air-dropped into Toronto, and
you couldn't tell the difference--Heaven help you!

Toronto, on balance, is inhabited by civilized people, Detroit is another
matter.

Additionally, I live in a state that probably has more people carrying
weapons (legally, I might add)per capita than any other state that I am
aware of.

The homicide rate in my town for last year I have the data: ZERO.
(Population: 30K or so).

It's the not the guns, it's the people who have the guns that make the
difference.

Same with knives, or any other weapons you may wish to consider for
discussion.

I haven't been following this thread (assuming there even is one), so I
won't go on & repeat what has probably been said previously by others.

One last more thing to consider, however: criminals don't follow laws--by
definition. Therefore, laws that restrict gun ownership, deny concealed
carry weapon permits, etc., to TRAINED, LAW-ABIDING citizens, only disarm
the latter, not the former.

If you look at the statistics of localities that have allowed weapon
carrying without an Act of Congress, you will see that crime goes DOWN, not
UP.

Best,

FPI