Re: CSI Data/Payment for Data/An Update

FWIW

As a retired attorney you may know that it is not necessary for a check to
be endorsed in order to negotiate it.  Most banks will readily deposit any
check to either a checking or savings account that bears the name of the
payee without that person's endorsement.

As a third party to this transaction you may not have much standing with the
bank involved, and therefore you may have difficulty in getting any
meaningful information from the bank that originally negotiated it. (The
identity of that bank should be ascertainable from the machine endorsement,
of the earliest date, on the back of the copy you have.)   Given the lack of
a payee endorsement I would be more inclined to believe that the check was
deposited, rather than stolen and then cashed.   As a retired banker I know
of no organization that would permit the cashing of any check without the
endorsement of the payee.

It's too bad that this really undefined situation made it to a public list.

Richard D. Funkhouser