re: CFTC Strikes!

I just got the phone call from the CFTC Enforcement Trial Att'y.  A bit
of a slow response for a voice mail message I left her about May 9, but
it's da gummint, ya know.

1.  I'm off the hook.  She somehow detected that I had mentioned that
"Insight Trading" could be used for futures and currencies, even though
it NEVER had been.  I know it never had been because I have the only copy
and never did it.

The phrase she said I used was "see no reason why Insight Trading
could not be used for futures or currencies".

2.  She would not tell me HOW she detected me out of the crowd, other
than the mention of futures/currencies.   It would not seem to be
from my Web page, as the only time "future" is used is in "What
the Future Holds" type of contexts.  In that I only started using
"Insight Trading" as a name in late September 1998, it would seem to be a
relative recent detection.

That leaves a posting either to an e-mail list (this is one of few
lists to which I subscribe  --- other than Fuzzy Logic one and
one on Risks)  -- OR a posting to a Usenet news group.  I just completed
a DejaNews search of my newsgroup postings from 1995 to date and have
not found a single one where I mention futures or currencies.  That
seems to leave either a response to a personal e-mail OR the Omega list
OR the Risk list.  The Fuzzy list seems to be captured in DejaNews.

I DO recall mentioning somewhere that there was no reason that my system
would not work on futures or commodities, but I'll have to sleep on that
one for a while before recalling it.  I will next search my e-mail
box on this server to see what shows up.

3.  Your gummint is doing a pure "1984" job of monitoring your activities.
And mine ... This is self-evident.  At least I haven't seen anyone going thru my
garbage on the curb (other than the usual harpies and gleaners);  the
cat sandbox is untouched by anyone other than the dogs;  and Echelon
hasn't been seen orbiting over my house (due to the approach pattern
to Cleveland airport).  The "F" word is Futures and the "C" words
are currencies and commodities.

I believe the facts I told her now have me off their list of interesting
prosecution prospects  ---  until the next Certified Nastygram.

I want to thank each and every one of you who provided advice.  I was
waiting for the Institute for Justice case to be resolved (www.ij.org/cftc)
last Friday, but it wasn't, so I sent the letter to the CFTC.

Cheers,
Robin Lake
rbl@xxxxxxxxxxx