More on serial ports

Some good explanation on serial port FIFO issues I just came across -
Note that this is an old posting - todays computer can cycle the IRQ
more often.

                  "Albert P. Belle Isle" <belleisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                  wrote about {Re: high speed modems ?????} in
                  'comp.dcom.modems'...

                  ~> Most PC's can service between 1,000 and 1,200
                  IRQ's per second. Multiply ~>this by the size of a
                  16550 buffer (16) and all you get is 19,200 cps.
                  Isn't ~>this is a little short of the 23,040 cps
                  advertised for the 28.8's? ~>

                  ~Ed:

                  ~If you set RxTrigger for the FIFO to only 1 byte,
                  then there will only be ~1 byte for the CPU to empty
                  from the UART when it goes to answer the IRQ.

                  ~However, if you set the RxTrigger to a higher
                  value, like the Windows ~comm.drv default of 8, then
                  the UART will wait until the FIFO has that ~many
                  bytes in it before raising the IRQ. That number of
                  bytes will then ~be taken off in a burst when the
                  IRQ is serviced.

                  ~That's the design idea behind adding the FIFO
                  buffer to the UART: to get ~around the very problem
                  you mentioned.

                  I understand and totally agree. However, if you only
                  have a total of 1,200 IRQ's per second available
                  (BIOS limit) and you multiply this by the full
                  16-byte UART buffer size you come up with a 'maximum
                  theoretical DTE rate' of 19,200 bytes/sec. This is
                  about 3,840 bytes/sec short of the advertised 23,040
                  rate for a 28.8-LAPM compliant modem. My RxFIFO is
                  set at 14.

                      Ed..

                      All my sheets are white except my colored ones!

                              ** Common Sense Is Not Common **