Re: Teaching yourself programming?

On Thu, 20 May 1999, Patrick White wrote:

> competent programmer. If your main intent is to produce a
> few workable programs in a minimum of time and effort, I
> would highly suggest learning VB right away (you can even
> pick up books from the library before you buy the program to
> test the waters). In the last 3-4 months I have been far
> more productive in terms of actual programming output, than
> in the prior 2 years with Quick Basic. VB has most any

After programming VB for over 6 years I found Perl to be a much more
productive programming language per line of code. I haven't joined this
little discussion till now because I'm on the fence whether it is a good
language for learning programming. However, since you raise the specter
of productivity vs. pedagogical usefulness, I will suggest the following
texts:

Learning Perl
Perl Cookbook
Programming Perl
Mastering Regular Expressions
Web Client Programming With Perl

.. all published by O'Reilly and available from Amazon at a decent
discount. Does VB do regular expressions yet?

Cheers,

Jim