Re: Teaching yourself programming?

> Where would one start with teaching yourself programming?  I'd like to
> learn. Nothing too fancy now, but the basics. Where/what to start with?
> VB, C++? I'm starting at basically ground zero.  Thanks.
>
> Scott"Not the one in Issaquah" Hoffman

It is a corruption of the youth of today  --  worthy of the hemlock  --
to teach "programming" by teaching the writing of a language.  More
important is first to learn what programming is about and then to learn
to READ a language (didn't WE learn to read before we learned to write?)

I suggest a classic:

Software Tools
by Kernighan and Plaugher
Addison Wesley  1976

They teach "design before implementation".  They teach how to write
programs that make good tools and how to program well in the process.
I used this text to teach programming to senior professionals for a
decade.  If you just get through the first 3 Chapters, you'll be well
ahead of game, no matter which language you end up using.

Perhaps someone should donate a copy to Omega Research?

Cheers,
Rob Lake
rbl@xxxxxxxxxxx