Re: The Obituary of TS2000i

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Fulks
Subject: Re: The Obituary of TS2000i

>What ISO 9000 really means? ISO 9000 does not mean that software will be
>completely bug free. But ISO 9000 does mean that software should be of much
>higher quality since the certified organization has been audited for
>following documented quality control, testing and release procedures.

Everything that you wrote is so very true, and like even the worst trading
systems, painfully obvious in hindsight.  I am amazed that no one has
thought to mention ISO 9000 before.  All of us should be more like the
customers you had when you were an engineering VP.  We should aggressively
insist on quality standards for software that one's business depends on.
Mission critical, I believe, is the correct term.

Buying software that is not ISO 9000 certified is like buying a trading
system.  You could buy one from a vendor making wild claims in some magazine
ad or you could buy one from a vendor with a CTA who has a track record of
trading the system with real money over a long period of time (or not buy
one at all).  Which of the two systems is most likely to perform as
promised?

Why is there so little ISO 9000 certification in the software industry and
in particular, trading software?  Because we, the consumers, don't
aggressively demand it.  Look at how many people just blindly jumped into
TS2000, HOPING that it would perform as expected.  I presume that most on
this list (myself included) have purchased products from (not ISO 9000)
Omega.  Baaaa baaaaa.

Omega could not only afford the ISO 9000 process, they would benefit from it
greatly by improved customer relations and by increasing their competitive
advantage.  In fact, they are going to NEED it to survive if one of their
competitors becomes ISO 9000 certified.  In any case, they would certainly
not be shipping an alpha or generously,  a beta product.

~Alan