Drawing pgm

Would appreciate some guidance as to a good drawing or paint program that I
could use to place text, trendlines, arrows with wavy lines, etc. onto
charts.

The quality would have to be such that I could send the graphic to a layout
person using Pagemaker for insertion into a financial newsletter.

I've been squeeking by with Microsoft's generic paint program, but would
like to upgrade to something more flexible without too steep a learning curve.

Regards,

FPI