Re: TradeLab, TradeWare and MatLab

At 07:45 PM 4/17/99 -0400, Joel Reymont wrote:
>Somebody on the list asked a question before
>regarding  why people don't try to use other software
>designed to analyze timeseries in their trading. It also seems
>to me that the consensus on the list is that systems should be
>coded in VB. TradeLab supposedly has VB systems and
>I assume MB's product will as well. So why not just use MatLab
>which comes with DLLs and such and use it? Granted, last  time
>I looked it was gonna cost me about $2,400 for MatLab and
>the same for another module but...
>
>    Joel

Matlab is a great solution (although you'll need a Matlab compiler to
create the DLL's you need). One problem is cost, which you've identified.
The basic engine is $1795 and all the toolboxes are extra. My installation
is upwards of $10K. The other problem is that it's serious geekware.

What's really needed is a flexible platform that allows adding in
heavy-duty tools that are end-user friendly, in some sense. In other words,
reasonable intelligence that doesn't necessarily include advanced degrees
in math / science / engineering. And I'm obviously not referring to some
new version of RSI.

Allan

Webster's Unabridged Dictionary:
geek  , n. Slang.
1. a carnival performer who performs sensationally morbid or disgusting
acts, as biting off the head of a live chicken.
2. any strange or eccentric person.