Re: Please contact Omega...

Larry Wright wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Apr 1999, Dennis Holverstott wrote:
>
> > My preference would be for people to post code as plain text in the body
> > of the message.
>
> YES! - we need a ***large*** number of people to strongly suggest that
> Omega include an ASCII save as an option.
>
> > We now have 3 versions of TS, with incompatible
> > features, being used by list members. We can all learn something if we
> > can read the code even if it uses features not supported by our version
> > of TS.
>
> YES! - we need a ***large*** number of people to strongly suggest that
> Omega include an ASCII save as an option.
>
> > As well, I enjoy seeing how people have solved problems by reading their
> > code but I don't like to clutter up power editor with unknown functions,
> > systems and indicators. I already have way too much stuff in there.
>
> YES! - we need a ***large*** number of people to strongly suggest that
> Omega include an ASCII save as an option.
>
> > Anything I might want to use, I prefer to copy/paste into power editor
> > myself. There is nothing more annoying than pasting a huge .ela into
> > power editor and then trying to figure out what has been added or
> > overwritten on your system.
>
> YES! - we need a ***large*** number of people to strongly suggest that
> Omega include an ASCII save as an option.
>
> This is a recorded announcement <g>. Sorry for playing the recording a few
> times, but Omega will *only* respond if there are a large number of
> requests. I've asked for this many times, but we need more folks - please
> call/write/email today and request this.
>
> It probably helps to sound like a newbie - then an ASCII option might even
> fit the business model <g>.

This is one of those areas where Bill Cruz has devined the best.
Just ask, he will be glad to tell you - no, you don't really need
or want an ASCII option.  It is soooo much preferrable to have a
proprietary, binary file format that he (Cruz) would not dream of
going back to an open format with an easy exchange of information
between users/customers.  Why, because the old way is often confusing
to users and thus is misused by them.

We need to be protected from ourselves.

I know, I've had the discussion with him, which by the way includes
the omz format for data interchange too.... but maybe if enough
customers, including newbies, requested it, then ...

Rod
--

J. Rodney Grisham, Ph.D.
mailto:grisham@xxxxxxxxxxx