Re: What's the deal with TradeLab?

On Fri, 2 Apr 1999, Gary Fritz wrote:

> Absolutely.  I didn't mean to imply you had to have a PhD in nuclear
> physics to use it.  :-)  But TL is definitely aimed at a technically-
> savvy trader, one who is comfortable doing modest (or significant)
> programming, and one who either understands the complex mathematical
> tools it offers or who is willing to learn them.  I think that will
> narrow the potential market considerably.

This is something that has puzzled me for some time. There are many tools
out there for performing complex math on time series, that have
exceptional graphics capabilities and are far more powerful than the likes
of TS or other programs oriented towards the trading marketplace.  I can
think of a few reasons why they might not be used: 1) most traders are a
lazy bunch and don't have the discipline to learn to use powerful tools 2)
traders don't know about these tools 3) traders think something written
specifically for trading must be superior 4) too much trouble coding
indicators in something other than a trading app. Maybe it's a little of
each.

Cheers,

Jim