Returning TS2000i & Window on Wall St.

  • To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Returning TS2000i & Window on Wall St.
  • From: "Larry C. Sanders" <sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 11:40:14 -0500 (EST)

>I was charged $500 to upgrade from TS4 to TS2000i, which I am returning
>today after a little more than a week of frustration, hair-pulling and
>no trading.

Despite a few bugs in TS4 (sometimes does not print the last bar of a chart
- yeah there is a work-around but it is not satisfactory) I've been using
it.  When the new stuff was announced I had to have it.  Wanted a real time
internet data feed.

I was charged $2500 to upgrade from TS4 that I bought in Feb 97.  So how
did you upgrade for only $500?  Mine included radar screen which was an
extra $1000 but that clearly does not account for the difference.  I was
told in February that the upgrade would be $1000 but when it was actualy
possible to order the price had escalated another $500 plus $1000 for radar
screen.

>BTW, TS2000i did not install in accordance with the documents
>accompanying it, did not update, and did not chart with a PCQuote
>internet datafeed.  Back in the box it goes!

TS2K does work with PCQuote for me, however, NOT with the plain vanilla
version I had been using -  PCQuote Hyperfeed works with TS2K.  That done I
thought the data feed problem would be over but not so.  TS2K has a symbol
porfolio for symbols collected from their end of day service, Historybank,
and if you are using a satelite or cable real time feed there is a separate
list of which symbols to collect real time.  For any internet real time
feed this second list is unavailable.

This is an awkward situation at best.  Since PCQuote can only collect 1000
symbols and uses the main portfolio list for those symbols, it is not
possible to search the entire list of symbols eod and then put just those
of inerest in the real time list since there is only one list limited to
1000 symbols.  Just forget once and load from Historybank (either the CD of
from the net) and have 'collect all  symbols' checked and the list will
have to be manually edited again.

Window On Wall St. Daytrader 7 does not have this problem. Their FCDN feed
send all symbols real time over the net.  So why in there a problem with
PCQoute?

My routine with TS4 is to scan all symbols with a rough screen ( Min price,
Volume & ADX) weekly and stuff the prospective list of symbols into a
custom data list using chart scanner.  Omega says that radar screen  and
Workplace assistant are the replacement for chart scanner.  One serious
problem; there is no way to take the results of the radar scan and put the
result into a custom data list.

To its credit, TS2K does have several nice improvements in the system
testing areas -- Trade fixed $ amount instead of fixed # of shares, and a
lot ouseful statistics and charts.

WOW St 7 has a poor system development capability - no stop orders, for
instance - and a dificult programing language.  They say that later this
year WOW will acept EZ language and be fully compatible - if that happens
it may be time to short OMGA.

This has been a rough 2 weeks with TS2K.  I'm going to miss some of the
system development niceties, but I will not miss the lethargic performance,
 frequent crashes and lockups and the data feed hassles.  My copy goes back
today.  Hyperfeed is canceled.

Hey, Omega, let us all know when the bugs are out and internet data feeds
work on all the symbols. For your sake this needs to happen before WOW has
a real programing language.

One last item:  Omega had a seminar here last weekend to teach TS2K.  I
figured it would show me how to deal with the problems mentioned here but
it was of no value in solving my problems with the product.

For now I'm waiting to see some money in the corner waiting to be picked up
and TS2K is not the tool for watching that corner.

I wish Omega well - they have a battle on their hands.